life, love, church, houses, politics, ethics, society, beagles
Archives
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
October 2004
December 2004
September 2005

May 2004
April 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September
Pre-Sept. 2003
2002
2001
Political Nonsense




Prayers

Please pray for:
e-mail prayer requests














Links || Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

Silly Pictures

About Pastor Dan

Monday, July 12, 2004


John Kerry spoke to the African Methodist Episcopal Church annual convention last Tuesday.

Sweet spots:

Scripture teaches us: "It is not enough, my brother, to say you have faith, when there are no deeds... Faith without works is dead."


Your faith is alive, but when I look around this city - when I look around neighborhoods and towns and cities all across this country, I see what so many of you see everyday.


We see jobs to be created.


We see families to house.


We see violence to stop.


We see children to teach - and children to care for.


We see too many people without health care and too many people of color suffering and dying from preventable diseases like cancer and AIDS and diabetes.


We look at what is happening in America today and we say:  Where are the deeds?  For the last four years all we have heard is empty words.


Well, let me tell you something.  I am running for president because it's time to turn the words into deeds, and faith into action.  I believe that talk is cheap.  It is time to back up our words with action.  And, as president, that is just what I am going to do.


and


Several months ago, President Clinton quoted the prophet Isaiah in support of my candidacy.  "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying...Whom shall I send.  And who will go for us.  And I said, `Here I am.  Send me.'"


President Clinton paid me the compliment of telling that audience whenever there was a call to service in war or in peace, I have always answered that call.


Today I say, when we look at the problems of this present age, we must all answer, "Send me."


With one clear voice, we must all say: Send me to fight for good-paying jobs that let American families actually get ahead - an America where the middle class is doing better, not being squeezed.


Send me to make it clear that health care is a right, not a privilege in America, reserved only for the wealthy or the elected or the connected.


Send me to fight for a good education for all our children with funding that truly leaves no child behind.


Send me to alleviate poverty and hopelessness wherever they exist in America.


Send me to make this nation energy independent so that no young American in uniform is ever held hostage to our dependence on Mideast oil.


Send me to build a strong military, and lead strong alliances, so young Americans are never put in harm's way because we needlessly insisted on going it alone.


My friends, we can create an America stronger at home and respected in the world if we put aside our divisions and come together in common purpose.  If we all answer the call by saying, "Send me."  If we remember the words of your founder, Richard Allen, who said, "Skin may differ but ability dwells in black and white the same."


Full text here.


Even if you don't care for religious language in political speeches--this one is well worth the read.  If nothing else, it should put to rest the notion that Kerry has no positive vision for the country.

Comments: Post a Comment

Site Meter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?